Thursday, March 8, 2012

How would you like to make a difference?

'Who is this Kony guy everyone is talking about' 

Are most of you wondering, 'Who or what is this Kony thing everyone is talking about and clogging up my newsfeed with?' Well, for those of you who don't already know, take a quick 30min out of your most likely boring day to watch this video that will definitely change your outlook on today!



This post is in joint effort to help make Joseph Kony famous and raise awareness of what it is he is doing to children in Uganda. It boggles my mind to even believe that this cruel obscenity has been going on for over 20 years without anything being done. Americans have been so caught up with the recession and the unemployment rate yet there is a country out there that is enslaving 3 year old children and turning them into sex slaves. We have very little to complain about and I will take a recession any day over living in a world where little children have been brain washed to kill their own parents! I almost feel guilty that I haven't done anything about it or been more active in the community regarding promoting making Kony visible.


This video brought me to a scary realization that horrible activities such as these occur on a daily basis and we here in America take for granted and lose appreciation for our most basic principle: freedom! The little boy Gavin in the video made me think about down the road when I want to make a family and how I would like the world to be a better place for them to live in. As if dealing with bullies, sexual predators and drug addiction isn't hard enough! As I go on my day to day activities, getting ready for work, working the usual 9-5, maybe do some working out or shopping after and then relaxing in bed to a nice movie and a glass of wine, I find some contentment in my life. Although last night my daily routine was not satisfying enough. After watching this video, when I was laying in bed last night with my usual glass of wine,  I realized how much more I could be doing with my life! These 4 people came together with a passion to raise awareness of this monster and cease his existence! My biggest concern over the last couple of days might have been will Syracuse win tonight or how am I going to get the dogs from stopping peeing on the couch? But this all seems so superficial now.



In efforts to try and find some satisfaction out of life and do something with my time other than spending it on my meaningless routine, I am going to do whatever I can within my reach to help support this cause. Being the Director of PR, I am going to use this position to help spread the word and help make Kony visible via social media outlets and networking. So I ask my followers/fans to take just a couple of minutes out of your average day and help me help free the children!

How you can help: 
1. Like Invisible Children Facebook Page 
2. Follow Stop Kony on Twitter
3. Post a tweet to your followers to watch the video
4. Send the video to 5 of your friends
5. Post this on your Facebook page



Just 2 seconds out of your day could really help shine some lime light on a monster that needs to be stopped.  Imagine how fast you could promote this and take a hand in something that is much bigger than you! Just overnight, the video has had over 36million views, it is possible and it's spreading like crazy! We could use our own efforts and social media to make a difference! So today instead of posting a status update about how much you love your boyfriend or how nice it is outside today or how much you wish you weren't working, use the social media platform for something more important and make a useful tool out of it! Spread the word!



If you would like to do more, there are options on the website to order your own Action Kit, Donate or order some bracelets for you and your friends to wear if you are feeling like you would like to do more. And for those of you who have more time or motivation to help, there are options to start your own fundraiser and spread the word in your town. All of this information can be found on their website.


Help make a difference today and create a world where one day we will be proud to raise our children in! 

STOP KONY 2012



No comments:

Post a Comment